September 22, (THEWILL) – The federal government has explained why it has not publicly disclosed the names of sponsors and financiers of terrorism in the country.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), said the “time is not ripe for holistic disclosures so as not to pre-empt the investigation process,” adding that the decision became imperative in order not to jeopardise ongoing investigations.
Malami said this on Wednesday while addressing newsmen in New York.
In a statement released by his spokesperson, Umar Gwandu, the AGF said the federal government is leaving no stone unturned in the prosecution of Boko Haram financiers and the fight against terrorism in the country.
According to the statement, the position, as it stands, is that investigations have reached an advanced stage and the government would make a statement in due course.
He said, “Time is not ripe for holistic disclosures so as not to pre-empt the investigation process. The prime object remains the attainment of peace and security of our dear nation.
“As per as terrorism funding and financing is concerned, we have succeeded in identifying those that are allegedly responsible for funding same and we are blocking the leakages associated with funding while embarking on aggressive investigation that is indeed impacting positively in terms of the fight against terrorism.
“The truth of the matter is that investigation is ongoing and advancing. For the purpose of investigation, I would not like to be pre-emptive in terms of making disclosures that will have effect of undermining the successes we are recording.”
Malami said whatever the government does in terms of detention and arrest is indeed backed up by judicial processes.
He added that the COVID-19 pandemic and the two-month strike embarked on by the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria earlier in the year affected the proposed prosecution of Boko Haram sponsors.
Malami stated that the federal government, through the Complex Case Group of the Department of Public Prosecution of the Federation, has reviewed over 1,000 Boko Haram case files, out of which 285 have been filed before the Federal High Court based on prima facie cases of terrorism against them.