BEVERLY HILLS, February 14, (THEWILL) – Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has claimed responsibility for an attack on the convoy of the Borno State, Kashim Shettima who was headed to a rally in north-eastern Nigeria ahead of Saturday’s presidential election.
The group said in a statement on its Amaq news agency that 42 people were killed in Tuesday’s attack on Borno state’s governor while official sources told Reuters, earlier on Wednesday, that between three and 10 people were killed, and that some of them may have been beheaded.
Boko Haram has waged a decade-long insurgency in Nigeria’s northeast which has killed around 30,000 people and forced about 2 million to leave their homes. Islamic State West Africa Province, which split from Boko Haram in 2016, has carried out a series of attack on military targets in the last few months.
Security sources said earlier on Wednesday the gunmen opened fire at the motorcade transporting Borno’s state governor Kashim Shettima on his way from state capital Maiduguri to the market town of Gamboru for a rally.
Two security sources said three people died. A government and a separate security source said as many as 10 people were killed. Some of those killed may have been beheaded, they said.
There was no indication of how Shettima was affected by the attack as his spokesman could not be reached for comment. A security source said the convoy had returned to Maiduguri.