SAN FRANCISCO, October 14, (THEWILL) – Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has declared a state of emergency on various dilapidated highways and carriages within Lagos State.
He made this known on Sunday at the Lagos House Marina where he ordered massive construction work on critical roads and highways across the State, beginning from Monday.
The Governor’s directive followed the conclusion of his series of meetings with eight multi-national engineering firms, which began a few weeks back.
After his final meeting with the contractors on Sunday, which lasted for about three hours, Sanwo-Olu declared the commencement of major construction work on the identified highways considered critical to the reduction of traffic congestion in the State.
The Governor said all the eight engineering firms had been given the mandate to immediately mobilise their equipment on the sites and commence major construction works on the identified roads.
“This afternoon, we have just concluded meeting with various reputable construction companies and all of them have been given the brief to immediately commence major construction work in various parts of the State.
“The exercise will begin tomorrow with palliative work on the selected roads, which are both on the Island and mainland divisions of the State.
“The contractors have been given the mandate to start mobilising their equipment to their respective sites without further delay.
“Their activities must first give our people an immediate relief on the affected roads so that there can be free flow of traffic even during the rehabilitation work,” he said.
To complement the major construction work on the highway, Sanwo-Olu said Lagos State Public Works Corporation (LSPWC) would be carrying out repairs of 116 inner roads across the State in addition to over 200 roads already rehabilitated by the corporation in the last three months.
The Governor said he was not unaware of the pain experienced by road users in the past few days, which was compound by persistent downpour.
He appealed to residents to bear with the Government while efforts were being made to assuage their pains and bring permanent relief to them.
“We expect the rains will begin to subside in this month of October and this is why we are mobilising our contractors to immediately start the major construction work on the identified highways and bring permanent relief to residents.
“I am giving all Lagosians the assurance that the contractors will start the construction in earnest and will deliver on the terms of agreements reached with them.”
The contractors deployed by the Government included Julius Berger, Hitech, Arab Contractors, Metropolitan Construction, Slavabogu Construction, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), Rajaf Foundation Construction, and RCF Nigeria Limited.