SAN FRANCISCO, February 20, (THEWILL) – The Borno State Police Command has cleared the air on Wednesday morning Boko Haram attack on Bama, saying not less than 47 persons were killed in the incident.
The Police however said that the death toll could rise further.
The attack came barely nine hours after Governor Kashim Shettima’s convoy passed through the town while returning from Izge where about 106 persons were slaughtered by the Boko Haram on Saturday.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Lawan Tanko, who confirmed the casualty figure,however said “that was what we have gotten so far as at afternoon.”
He added: “Every landmark building, the Local Government secretariat, the State Low-cost Housing Estate, schools and several other buildings, as well as part of the Shehu’s palace were destroyed.
“As at the last time I spoke to my DPO in Bama, we have had 47 dead casualty recorded, while several number of persons were confirmed injured, some already in hospitals there. I have instructed my men to liaise with the hospital if we can have a figure on the dead casualties.”
The Boko Haram gunmen had stormed the town in the wee hours of Wednesday when the residents were still sleeping, attacking them with sophisticated weapons including Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and destroy all public structures including the palace of the Shehu of Bama.