September 17, (THEWILL) – Brazilian football legend Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known affectionately as “Pele”, has reportedly been readmitted into an intensive care unit at a hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
THEWILL recalls that Pele had returned home from the Albert Einstein hospital on Tuesday following a successful surgery he saw had to remove a tumour in his colon earlier this month.
However, due to a deterioration in the health of the 80-year-old since his return, Pele had to be readmitted to the ICU. He was said to have had an acid reflux, which necessitated prompt clinical intervention.
The hospital and Pele’s representative in Santos said they could not confirm the news of the legend’s readmission to the ICU.
Earlier, upon leaving the ICU, the three-time World Cup winner posted a message to fans on Instagram saying that he was ready for “90 minutes, plus extra time” in an amusing way to claim he was doing well.
It was a sentiment shared by his daughter Kely Nascimento, who also took to her social media account to confirm the procedure had been successful and that Pele was not in any pain following the surgery. She posted:
“He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of the brilliant team at Einstein and all of the love, energy and light that the world is sending, he will get through this.”
The Brazilian football icon had suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. In recent years he has undergone kidney and prostate procedures. In 2014 he spent time in the ICU due to a severe urinary tract infection.