Nigerian Embassy Staff Quarters In Ghana Demolished By Businessman

BEVERLY HILLS, June 20, (THEWILL) – Some portion of the staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana was demolished late Friday, although the Nigerian government has yet to react to the incident.

The affected buildings were reportedly being constructed to house staff and visitors.

A source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs revealed that a Ghanaian businessman had claimed that the Nigerian High Commission’s staff quarters was being built on his land.

The man reportedly showed up last week with some pieces of evidence to support his claim.

However, he reportedly returned to the site on Friday in the company of armed men who supervised the demolition.

In a bid to stop the demolition, officials contacted the police who reportedly showed up at the site when the building was almost pulled down.

ALSO READ: Nigeria To Consider Reopening Closed Embassy In Sri Lanka – Buhari

While the police allegedly allowed the man to leave the scene without reprimand or questioning, the Ghanaian authorities have yet to respond to the Nigerian High Commission about what happened.

In a statement, Ferdinand Nwonye, spokesperson of the ministry, had said there was no “diplomatic row between Nigeria and the Republic of Ghana”.

Nwonye had said though the lease of the property on No.10 Barnes Road, Accra, has expired, the high commission was exploring the possibility of renewing the lease agreement with the host authorities.