September 16, (THEWILL) – The Lagos State University (LASU) has appointed Professor Ibiyemi Ibilola Olatunji-Bello as its new Vice Chancellor.
A Professor of Physiology, the new VC is an alumnus of the University of Ibadan. She began her primary education at the Anglican Girls Primary School, Surulere, from 1970 to 1974 and her secondary education at Lagos Anglican Girls Grammar School, between 1974 and 1979.
Prof. Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello then moved to the Methodist Girls High School, Yaba, and Lagos State College of Science and Technology, for her “A” levels in 1982.
Thereafter, she gained admission into the University of Ibadan from 1982 to 1985 and graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons.) in Physiology.
In 1987, at the University of Lagos, she earned her M.Sc. in Physiology, and in 1998 received her Doctorate in Physiology.
She would later undertake research training with the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in the US in 1994.
Employed as a lecturer with the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Idi-Araba, she rose through the ranks:
Assistant Lecturer (1988-1991)
* Lecturer II (1991-1996
* Lecturer I (1996-1999)
* Senior Lecturer (1999-2005)
* Associate Professor (2005-2007).
She joined LASU in 2007 as the pioneer Professor of Physiology at the Lagos State University College of Medicine.
In 2008, she was elected the Deputy Vice Chancellor, and it was renewed for a second term.
She was acting Vice Chancellor of LASU between January 2011 and October 2011.
Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello has held several professional and administrative positions both at UNILAG and LASU. She was the Chairman, Biomedical Communications Management Committee, 2000-2003 and Member, Medical Education Committee between 2001 and 2005. She was an elected member of the Academic Board of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos (CMUL) from 1999 to 2004. Member, Medilag Consult of the College of Medicine, Unilag from June, 2001 to September 2007, and Member, University of Lagos Women Society Nursery School Board, December 2000 to March 2005. Until her election as the First female Deputy Vice Chancellor of LASU, she was the First substantive Head of the Department of Physiology, LASUCOM.
Prof. Olatunji-Bello has obtained many academic fellowships and awards, some of them are:
– Travel Award by The Physiological Society to attend the Joint International Meeting of The Physiological Society and Federation of European Physiological Societies, University of Bristol, 20th to 23rd July 2005.
– Travel Award by SIDA (Swedish International Development Authority) to attend Pan-African Conference on Information Technology for the Advancement of Nutrition in Africa in Nairobi, Kenya, 21st to 25th July 2002.
– Part-sponsorship by Pfizer Specialties Ltd to attend Pan-African Conference on Information Technology for the Advancement of Nutrition in Africa in Nairobi Kenya, 21st July to 25th July 2002.
– Fellowship awarded by SIDA (Swedish International Development Authority) to participate in the Global Nutrition 2000 (Advanced International Training Programme, Uppsala, Sweden.) at the Department of Medical Sciences and Nutrition, University of Uppsala, Sweden, from February 28 to March 31,2000
– Follow-up in Kenya, October, 21st – 30th, 2000 for the award of a Certificate in Nutrition and Information Technology.
– Fellowship awarded by the Nigerian Government for staff enhancement under the World Bank Federal University Credit Facility in the Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, U. S. A. from April 12th to October 12th 1994.
-Awarded Second Best Teacher in the Physiology Department 1999/2000 session by the School of Basic Medical Sciences as adjudged by the 200 level students.
– Awarded a Research Grant with Prof. O. A. Sofola by the University of Lagos, 1993
She is a member of many professional bodies such as,
Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, USA
American Physiological Society
New York Academy of Sciences
The Physiological Society, UK
She was a two-term Vice President, Physiological Society of Nigeria, and a former member, Lagos University Medical Society and member, Information Technology in the Advancement of Nutrition in Africa Group (ITANA GROUP).
She was appointed by Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, former Governor of Lagos State as a member of Lagos State University (LASU) Governing Council, 2004 to 2008. She is a member, LASU Appointments and Promotions Committee (Technical and Senior Administrative), 2005 to date, and also a member, Court of Governors, LASUCOM, 2005 to date. She is a member of the Ad-Hoc Committee on the Development of Curriculum for LASU Foundation Programme, 2008; a member, Committee on Mock Accreditation of all the Academic Programmes of the University, 2008 to date, a member, Ad-Hoc Committee of Professors, LASU, 2008; a member, 25th Anniversary Planning Committee, LASU, 2008-2009; and a member, Business Committee of Senate, 2008
Professor Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello has graduated at least 12 MSc candidates since 2002, and 2 PhD graduates.
This distinguished scientist is known for her very brilliant academic work and she has over 37 publications to her credit; excluding papers she has read at both local and international conferences. She has also contributed chapters in several textbooks and e-learning materials.
September 1986 – August 1988: Part time Demonstrator in Physiology
1st September 1988 – 31st September 1991: Assistant Lecturer in Physiology
1st October 1991 – 31st September 1996: Lecturer II in Physiology
1st October 1996 – 31st September 1999: Lecturer I in Physiology
1st October, 1999 – 31st September, 2005: Senior Lecturer in Physiology
1st October 2005 – 1st October 2007: Associate Professor of Physiology
2nd October 2007 – date:Professor of Physiology, LASU.