BEVERLY HILLS, May 10, (THEWILL) – Former English football star, David Beckham, has been banned from driving for six months after admitting to using his mobile phone behind the wheel.
The 44-year-old football icon admitted using his mobile phone as he drove his Bentley through central London in November last year.
Beckham, who also played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy, appeared at the Bromley magistrates court, south of London.
He was given six penalty points on his licence, fined 750 pounds (868 euros, $975), and ordered to pay 100 pound to prosecution costs and a 75 pound surcharge fee.
According to Catherine Moore, the district judge, he already had six points on his licence for previous speeding matters, meaning he reached the 12-point limit which triggers a disqualification.
Matthew Spratt, the prosecutor, said Beckham was photographed by a member of the public as he drove in “slowly moving” traffic while holding a phone
Beckham’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, said that his client cannot remember the incident saying: “there is no excuse for what took place but his view is as he cannot remember. He’s going to plead guilty and that’s what he’s done.”