SAN FRANCISCO, January 12, (THEWILL) – After a series of unfortunate events that led to the postponing of the Total CAF Confederation Cup 2020/2021 Match no. 70 fixture between Rivers United (Nigeria) and Bloemfontein Celtic (South Africa), and the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic still prevalent in the Continent, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) submitted the case to CAF’s Organising Committee of Interclubs Competitions and the Management of Club Licensing System.
The Committee sat on the case and has unanimously reach the following decisions:
1. The match shall be rescheduled during the weekend 22nd – 24th of January 2021 and shall be played in a neighboring country to Nigeria with more lenient COVID-19 protocols regarding travelers coming from South Africa.
2. The Nigeria Football Federation to decide and communicate the venue, date, kick-off time and the approval of the neutral host association by the 12th of January 2021 at the latest.
3. The designations of the match officials are maintained.
4. Rivers United FC to take charge of all organizational expenses in the neutral country as the host club and to ensure that the visiting team has the approvals for the entry in the neutral country.
5. The additional player registration period starts on the 10th January 2021, the two teams shall not be allowed to field any of the players registered during this period for this match.
The resolution of the fixture will allow Nigeria’s other Confederation Cup representatives Enyimba to know their opponents in the final rounds of the preliminary stage and prepare appropriately for the game.