SAN FRANCISCO, May 27, (THEWILL) – As the Borno State Government continues to count the cost of the five-year-old Boko Haram insurgency in the state, the State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, has lamented the massive destruction of Bama by the insurgents who occupied the town for over six months.
The governor, who paid a visit to the town on Wednesday to assess the situation, expressed shock at what he saw, saying most of the infrastructure in the commercial town had been destroyed by the insurgents.
According to Shettima, “What we have seen today is wanton destruction of all structures. All public and private structures, including clinics, places of worship, houses, markets have been burnt by the insurgents.”
“Going by the facts on the ground, between 80 and 90 percent of all structures in the town have either been burnt or destroyed.”
The governor however said his administration was determined to rebuild and rehabilitate all communities destroyed by the insurgents so that the displaced residents can go back home.
“We are determined to rebuild the state, no matter what, We will reach out to the Federal Government through the Victims Support Fund and other avenues to secure assistance toward rebuilding the state,” he said.
He added that his government would also request multinational donors, the United States, and other international organisations to assist in rebuilding the state.
Commending the military for their efforts in liberating the efforts in liberating the communities hitherto occupied by the insurgents, Shettima said : “Part of the reasons for my visit is to thank the military, including the Nigeria Police, other security agencies and even the local vigilantes for their sacrifices towards ensuring peace in the state.”
The governor disclosed that his government would move all the remaining residents of Bama to Maiduguri to allow the military flush out the remaining insurgents in the Sambisa forest.