Ask ZiVA 728x90 Ads aiteo  

Ex-IGP Tafa Balogun Is Dead

Ex-IGP Tafa Balogun

August 04, (THEWILL) – Former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mustapha Balogun, has died at the age of 74
Family sources, who confirmed his passing, said the late IGP died at a hospital in Lekki, Lagos, at about 8:30 pm on Thursday, during a brief illness.

Born on August 25, 1947, at Ila-Orangun in Osun State, Balogun, a member of cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Course 3, was the 21st Inspector-General of Police.

Having worked in various Police commands throughout the federation, and earning his promotions as at when due, Tafa, was at a time, the Principal Staff Officer (PSO) to former Inspector-General of Police, Muhammadu Gambo, Deputy Commissioner of Police Edo State, the pioneer Commissioner of Police in Delta State. He was also CP in Rivers and Abia states.

Tafa, a fellow of the premier highest military institution in Nigeria, the National War College, later became the Assistant Inspector General of Police A.I.G Zone One, Kano, from where he was named the 21st IGP of Police on March 6, 2002.

On April 4, 2005, Tafa Balogun was arraigned at the Federal High Court, Abuja, for stealing and laundering over $100 million in his three years as Inspector General of Police from the Police treasury.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) under Nuhu Ribadu, brought 70 charges against him, covering the period from 2002 to 2004, when he was the Inspector General of Police. He made a plea bargain with the court in exchange for returning much of the property and money. He was sentenced to six months in jail.

Judge Binta Nyako said her sentence reflected that Balogun was the first offender and had shown remorse. He was directed by the court to pay N500,000 on each of eight counts of charges totaling N4 million.

His trial was full of drama. One of such was when he collapsed on his seat on June 29, 2005, at the Abuja High Court.

The former police boss, who pleaded guilty to eight of the 56 count-charge directly affecting him, was convicted and sentenced to six months in each of the charges, which is however to run concurrently.

He was released on February 9, 2006, after serving his sentence, part of it at Abuja’s National Hospital.