Ask ZiVA 728x90 Ads aiteo  

Edo Train Attack: Abductors Demand N20m Ransom Per Victim

THEWILL APP ADS 2

January 10, (THEWILL) – Gunmen, who attacked a train station in Edo state and kidnapped some travellers, have contacted the families of the abductees, demanding a ransom of N20 million each.

The victims were abducted on Saturday evening while waiting to board a train at the Tom Ikimi train station in Igueben.

THEWILL earlier reported that Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Osa Nehikhare, during a press conference on Monday, said six of the 31 kidnapped victims had been rescued.

But disclosing the demand for ransom, Executive Director, Esan Youth for Good Governance and Social Justice, Benson Odia, said the kidnappers had made contact with some families of the kidnap victims, demanding N20 million for each victim.

Odia, who described the demand as absurd, called on the authorities to intensify efforts in rescuing the abducted persons that are still being held by their abductees.

He also said that the Minister of Transportation and Nigeria Railway Corporation boss was at Igueben to assess the situation themselves.

He added there was assurance by the authorities to engage in the use of helicopters on Tuesday, as part of the efforts to locate the victims.

“I can tell you that the kidnappers have demanded N20 million, totalling N620 million. This is absurd and I don’t know where poor people will be able to raise that amount of money,” Odia lamented on Monday.

When contacted on the ransom demand, the Edo Police Command Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Chidi Nwabuzor, said he would confirm the claim.