Ask ZiVA 728x90 Ads aiteo  

Abducted Methodist Prelate Admits N100m Ransom Paid For His Release

THEWILL APP ADS 2

May 31, (THEWILL) – The abducted Prelate of the Methodist Church, His Eminence Samuel Uche, on Tuesday, said N100m was paid as ransom before he was released.

At a press conference in Lagos, the cleric said the monies were arranged in five sacks of N20 million.

The funds, he noted, were raised by the Methodist Church in Nigeria.

He also claimed that neither the Federal or State Government, nor the military or police intervened.

The cleric was kidnapped on Sunday in Abia State, but was released on Monday.

The Prelate had been kidnapped alongside two others, the Bishop of Methodist Church, Owerri Diocese and the Prelate’s chaplain.

They were reportedly whisked away at about 2pm on their way from a church programme in Okigwe, Imo State, to Isuochi in Umu Nneochi Local Government Area of Abia State.

THEWILL reports that the Nigerian Senate, had on April 27, passed the Terrorism (Prevention) Act 2013 (Amendment) Bill 2022, into law to prohibit the payment of ransom to kidnappers.

The bill amended Section 14 of the Act to read thus: “Anyone who transfers funds, makes payment or colludes with an abductor, kidnapper or terrorist to receive any ransom for the release of any person who has been wrongfully confined, imprisoned or kidnapped is guilty of a felony and is liable on conviction to a term of imprisonment of not less than 15 years.”