Teenager Killed As Bahrain Marks Anniversary Of Uprising
A Bahraini teenager was killed by security forces on Thursday, an opposition website reported, as activists demonstrated on the second anniversary of an uprising demanding democratic reforms in the U.S.-allied Gulf Arab state.
The protests could mar reconciliation talks which began last week between opposition groups and the government and its loyalists in a bid to end two years of political deadlock.
The website of the main opposition group Wefaq said a young man identified as Ali Ahmed Ibrahim al-Jazeeri died from what it called internationally banned exploding bullets in the village of Diya near the capital Manama. It said the victim was born in 1996. It gave no further details on the incident.
The Interior Ministry said in a statement on its Twitter account that a death had occurred but gave no details of the incident. It said the police operations room had been notified by Salmaniya Hospital that one person had been "brought in with injuries, but it turned out he had later died".
The ministry said rioters had blocked a number of roads and security forces were seeking to restore order.
Witnesses reported that many roads connecting villages around Manama had been blocked, while schools for Westerners remained closed for fear of violence.
The island state is home to the U.S. Fifth Fleet.
Protests that began in early 2011 were crushed but demonstrators have continued small protests on an almost daily basis demanding the Sunni ruling family call elections and create a constitutional monarchy.
- ARCHBISHOP BENSON IDAHOSA: THE ERROR & FALSEHOOD OF EX-OLUMBA OLUMBA PASTOR’S CONFESSION
- THE KADUNA STATE 2011 VOTER REGISTRATION FIGURES: MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL
- ORHII’S NAFDAC AND THE BURGEONING REVISIONISTS
- 2015: SYCOPHANCY AND POLITICTKING
- PASTOR DAVID IBIYEOMIE: APOSTLE OF PROSPERITY AND GOOD HEALTH @ 50 GOLDEN YEARS
- THE REQUISITE RESPONSE TO A NETWORK'S INCAPACITY
- MURDER OF AKWA IBOM PARAMOUNT RULER: A LETTER TO PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA
- Aregbesola Insanity Test: Court Summons Personal Physician, Osun Speaker
- Presidency Brands El-Rufai A Serial Liar, Says GEJ Is Above Ethnic, Religious Politics
- TAKAI: WHY KANO PEOPLE SHOULD LISTEN TO SHEKARAU
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State