Ronaldo Rescues Real Against United
Cristiano Ronaldo rescued Real Madrid with a brilliant header against former club Manchester United to salvage a 1-1 draw in Wednesday's heavyweight Champions League last 16 first leg showdown at the Bernabeu.
Real gave the Premier League side a torrid time in the early stages but United took the lead against the run of play in the 20th minute when Danny Welbeck nodded past Diego Lopez from a Wayne Rooney corner.
Portuguese Ronaldo, who became the world's most expensive player when he left United for Real in 2009, levelled 10 minutes later when he rose to send an Angel Di Maria centre arrowing into the corner.
United goalkeeper David De Gea, who earlier tipped a Fabio Coentrao effort on to a post, superbly denied the same player on the hour before Robin Van Persie fluffed a shot when he had the goal at his mercy 18 minutes from time, allowing Xabi Alonso to clear off the line.
The result gives United a slight advantage for the return leg in Manchester on March 5.
- LEADERSHIP CRISIS AND THE FUTURE OF THE NIGERIAN YOUTHS
- Obada, Min. Of Defence, Slumps At Remembrance Day Parade
- Court Clears Path For Elumelu’s Guber Ambition, Quashes N5.2B REA Scam Case
- Atiku At New Year Urges Optimism, Compassion
- “INDEFINITE” PRESIDENCY MEANS EMBRACING ODDITIES
- Pandemonium In Rivers House Of Assembly As Pro-Jonathan Legislators Smuggle In Mace
- Borno: Consider Our Plight, Victims Of Soldiers’ Rampage Plead With Shettima
- Alleged Blackmail: House Summons Okonjo-Iweala Over Budget
- Mark Promises To Intervene In FCT, IBB Golf Club Row
- U.S. Judge Approves Citigroup $590 Million Settlement
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State