Andy Murray Ready To Start 2013 Australian Open Campaign
Andy Murray insists that finally winning his first Grand Slam title has not diminished his drive heading into the Australian Open in Melbourne.
The Briton, who faces Dutchman Robin Haase at 00:00 GMT on Tuesday, said: "I'm revved up, that's not an issue.
"I didn't at any stage say I was 'very relaxed'. I feel more relaxed than I have done the week before a Slam in the past, that's going to be natural."
Fellow Britons Jamie Baker and Laura Robson also play on Tuesday.
Baker came through three rounds of qualifying to reach the main draw and will meet Lukas Rosol, conqueror of Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon, in the third match on Court 20 at approximately 04:00.
Robson will begin her campaign at a similar time on Court Three against American Melanie Oudin.
Hopes of a British victory on finals weekend in a fortnight's time remain firmly with US Open champion Murray, however, and he will hope his regular winter training block in Florida pays dividends once again.
"I didn't work hard in Miami in the off-season to come in and not be focused or too relaxed or anything like that," said the Scot.
"I didn't train over there for four weeks to come here and put in a really bad performance. I plan on playing well here."
Murray, 25, is seeded third in Melbourne but widely tipped to reach the final and a rematch with world number one Novak Djokovic , the man he beat at the US Open but has lost to for the last two years in Melbourne.
"I think after the matches we've played over the last year or so, they have been incredibly physical, incredibly tough," said Murray.
"It has been pretty painful at times in some of the matches, but I think our respect for one another has probably grown over the last 18 months or so. But we have never had any problems with each other.
"I chat with him all the time and with his team when we see each other."
Murray has won both his previous matches against Haase, but the last was a dramatic five-set win at the US Open in 2011 and the Briton is expecting another test.
"He's very talented," said Murray. "He likes playing on big courts. He tends to come out firing and going for big shots, playing extremely aggressive, so I'll need to be prepared for that."
Victoria Azarenka begins the defence of her title in the second match on Rod Laver Arena, before four-time champion Roger Federer takes on Frenchman Benoit Paire.
"I purposely didn't play a lead-up tournament so that I'd be fresh for the beginning, hopefully going deep into the tournament," said Federer. "That's the goal, obviously."
Azarenka might be the top seed and defending champion but Serena Williams is widely regarded as the favourite for the title, and the American plays Romanian Edina Gallovits-Hall in the second match on Hisense Arena.
"I've been a favourite so many times and I've been the ultimate underdog several times," said Williams. "I like being the underdog a little bit. You don't have any pressure.
"Being the favourite is fun too, because then you feel like you're the one to beat. If it came down to it, I would prefer to be the underdog."
The night matches have significant local interest with Australian hope Bernard Tomic up against Argentine Leonardo Mayer at 08:00 GMT, followed by Jarmila Gajdosova against Belgian Yanina Wickmayer.
- Two Arik Air Crewmembers Busted At London Heathrow With Cocaine Valued At $1m
- Jonathan Orders Release Of Some Persons Detained Over Terror As Amnesty For BH Begins
- “NIGERIA WILL BECOME HISTORY …” NIGERIA IS ALREADY HISTORY
- DANCING ON THE DRUMS OF WAR
- JONATHAN’S APOLOGISTS AND THEIR GUTLESS SMEAR CAMPAIGN
- JTF Nabs 11 Minors Over Cultism, 10 Suspects Paraded For Kidnapping, Illegal Bunkering
- WHICH GODS MUST BE APPEASED?
- Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Immigration Overhaul
- Federal Government Alerts States On Likely Heavy Flood
- Senate Okays State Of Emergency In Adamawa, Borno, Yobe
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State