Boko Haram Amnesty: Jonathan Names Committee Members
PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN
SAN FRANCISCO, April 17, (THEWILL) – President Goodluck Jonathan Wednesday approved the constitution of a Presidential committee to engage the terrorist group Boko Haram as part of federal government’s proposed amnesty deal for members of the radical Islamic sect.
A statement from the Presidency said the move followed Tuesday’s National Security Council’s consideration of a report of the technical committee it commissioned to review fresh modalities for addressing security challenges in the North.
The President also commissioned a second committee on small arms and light weapons.
Both committees will be formally inaugurated by President Jonathan at 10 am on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, a statement by presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati added.
The 26-member Boko Haram committee is Chaired by Mr. Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, the Minister of Special Duties.
“Following the consideration yesterday by the National Security Council of the report of the technical committee it set up to review fresh modalities for addressing security challenges in the North, President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the constitution of a Presidential Committee to constructively engage key members of Boko Haram and define a comprehensive and workable framework for resolving the crisis of insecurity in the country.
“The Committee’s terms of reference will include developing a framework for the granting of amnesty; setting up of a framework through which disarmament could take place within a 60-day time frame; the development of a comprehensive victims’ support programme, and the development of mechanisms to address the underlying causes of insurgencies that will help to prevent future occurrences.
“President Jonathan has also approved the constitution of a Federal Government committee on the proliferation of small arms and light weapons in keeping with his pledge that Nigeria will work with the United Nations and other countries to stem the worrisome proliferation of small arms and light weapons, and their use in creating insecurity and instability in Nigeria and other developing nations,” the statement said.
The composition of the two committees is as follows:
COMMITTEE ON DIALOGUE AND PEACEFUL RESOLUTION OF SECURITY CHALLENGES IN THE NORTH
1. Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, Minister of Special Duties - Chairman
2. Sheik Ahmed Lemu - Member
3. Dr. Hakeem Baba Ahmed - Member
4. Col. Musa Shehu, (rtd.) - Member
5. Sheik Abubakar Tureta - Member
6. Dr.Datti Ahmed - Member
7. Senator Sodangi Abubakar - Member
8. Senator Ahmed Makarfi - Member
9. Hon. Mohammed Bello Matawalle - Member
10. Amb. Zakari Ibrahim - Member
11. Comrade ShehuSani - Member
12. Hajiya Naja’atu Mohammed - Member
13. Malam Adamu S. Ladan - Member
14. Dr. Joseph Golwa - Member
15. AVM A. I. Shehu - Member
16. Mr. R. I. Nkemdirim - Member
17. DIG P. I. Leha - Member
18. Prof. Nur Alkali - Member
19. Malam Salihu Abubakar - Member
20. Alhaji Abubakar Sani Lugga - Member
21. Barrister Ibrahim Tahir - Member
22. Brig-Gen. Ibrahim Sabo - Member
23. Amb. Baba Ahmed Jidda - Member
24. Group Capt. Bilal Bulama,Rtd. - Member
25. Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi - Member
26. Representative of OSGF - Secretary
COMMITTEE ON SMALL ARMS AND LIGHT WEAPONS
1. Amb. Emmanuel Imohe - (Chairman)
2. Amb. Martin I. Uhomoibhi - Member
3. Amb. T. D. Hart - Member
4. Amb.Ghali Umar - Member
5. Amb. B.G. Wakil - Member
6. Mr. Opelusi Olureti - Member
7. Representative of Ministry of Interior - Member
8. Representative of NSA - Member
9. Representative of DG (SSS) - Member
10. Representative of NIA - Member
11. Representative of Federal Ministry of Justice - Member
12. Representative of Ministry of Defence - Member
13. Representative of DIA - Member
14. Representative of the Nigeria Police Force - Member
15. Representative of the Nigerian Customs Service - Member
16. Representative of OSGF - Member
17. Director, International Organisations Dept (MFA) - Secretary
- BIAFRA AND ISLAMIC NIGERIA
- Nigerian Christian Woman Killed In UK By Ex-Lover Over Row About Daughter Converting To Islam
- THE ARAB WORLD WANTS NIGERIA DEAD
- THE REQUISITE RESPONSE TO A NETWORK'S INCAPACITY
- YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IN AFRICA: A TICKING TIME BOMB OR AN OPPORTUNITY?
- The Looting Of Lagos State
- PASTOR DAVID IBIYEOMIE: APOSTLE OF PROSPERITY AND GOOD HEALTH @ 50 GOLDEN YEARS
- FASHOLA: PORTING FROM ADMIRABLE ACHIEVEMENTS TO PEEVING POLICIES
- JOHN CAMPBELL DENIED VISA TO NIGERIA
- RIVERS POLITICAL IMPASSE: WHAT CAN THE CHURCH DO?
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State