Niger Delta: Furore Over Sale Of Shell Assets
SAN FRANCISCO, February 13, (THEWILL) - The Niger Delta communities in which Shell's operations are located have protested the way and manner in which its oil bloc and other assets were sold to the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC) with no recourse to the communities that bear the brunt of its oil exploration activities.
It would be recalled that protests and petitions have followed the acquisition by NPDC of the assets of Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) in the area.
The communities are alleging that NPDC's mode of operation appears to be anti-people and and against the spirit of community development.
Only few weeks back, some Isoko communities took the battle to the door steps of SPDC flowstation and shut down the station over what they described as unsettled issues.
The protests followed the collapse of talks between the oil-producing areas and officials of Shoreline Natural Resources Ltd and First Hydro Carbon Ltd, represented by NPDC, which bought 45 per cent equity stake of Shell, Total and Agip, OML 30 and OML 26, allegedly without due and prior consultation with the various communities that are stakeholders in Isoko land.
It could be recalled however that NDPC and Shell officials had met with some Isoko stakeholders last weekend in Effurun to explain why the Anglo-Dutch multinational was transferring its equity share in the joint venture to the new firms.
A senior Shell official, Mr. Akpomudjere Edesiri, had explained that the company’s decision to sell facilities in OML 30 was a strategic move to streamline its operations as is the situation elsewhere in the world since the company, according to him, operates in over 170 countries.
An Ijaw speaking community in Warri South-West Council Area of the state has also taking NPDC up, saying since it acquired concessionary rights over the Batan oil field, there has been a calculated attempt to take the entire community back to the woods.
They said since NPDC took over from SPDC in 2012, it has refused every attempt to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with their community.
The Ijaws of Diebiri-Batan said despite the numerous correspondence to the oil firm in this regard, NPDC has failed to disclose any package for the people in the area of developmental projects, employment, skill acquisition and scholarship.
The community said the most worrisome part is that the oil company has continued to pollute their environment with noxious crude oil, spilling over 200 barrels without clean-up, remediation as well as compensation to them.
In a protest letter jointly signed by their Chairman, Alex Ebi Fenimine, Secretary Alex Misoro and Public Relation Officer, Emmanuel Igetei, the community said that sometimes in July, 2012, NPDC allowed its oil to spill over their water, fish ponds, mangrove as well as venerable places but has refused with impunity to clean-up the environment and pay compensation.
Consequently, the community warned that their patience has been stretched to a breaking point where they would no longer be able to hold their youths from formenting trouble over the vexed issues.
They have therefore given a 14-days ultimatum to NPDC to do the needful or be ready for a show down.
- LEADERSHIP CRISIS AND THE FUTURE OF THE NIGERIAN YOUTHS
- ARCHBISHOP BENSON IDAHOSA: THE ERROR & FALSEHOOD OF EX-OLUMBA OLUMBA PASTOR’S CONFESSION
- RECENT COURT DECISION ON PEACE CORPS OF NIGERIA IS GOOD FOR OUR YOUNG DEMOCRACY
- ORHII’S NAFDAC AND THE BURGEONING REVISIONISTS
- RIVERS POLITICAL IMPASSE: WHAT CAN THE CHURCH DO?
- The Looting Of Lagos State
- PIPELINE VANDALISATION – A GROWING DANGER!
- IS HONOURABLE GODWIN NDUDI ELUMELU A CURSE OR A BLESSING TO ANIOCHA/OSHIMILI FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY? WHY HE MUST BE STOPPED IN 2011
- NIGERIA’S FUTILE SEARCH FOR LINGUA FRANCA
- House Leadership: How Tambuwal, Ihedioha emerged; The Intrigues
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State