N30m Fraud: Kaduna Deputy Speaker, Six Others Docked
DR. MATO DOGARA, DEPUTY SPEAKER, KADUNA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY
SAN FRANCISCO, January 14, (THEWILL) – The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Monday arraigned the Deputy Speaker, Kaduna State House of Assembly Dr. Mato Dogara alongside six others before Justice Marcel Awokulehin of the Federal High Court Kaduna on a six count charge of fraudulent conversion of state funds to the tune of over N30 million.
The other six accused persons include Kabiru Tahir Malali (interim Chairman Lere Local Government), Ahmed Yahaya (former director, finance, Lere Local Government), Billy Graham Amos (former director, works, Lere Local Government), Yusha'u Aboki (former director, personnel management, Lere local Government), Mrs. Hannatu Iliya (Head of Health, Lere Local Government), and Eric Alhassan (former acting chairman, Lere Local Government).
Having pleaded not guilty to all the charges, Prosecution counsel, Sa'ad Hannafi Sa'ad requested the court to remanded the accused persons in prison custody and fix a date for the commencement of trial.
He specifically prayed the court to remand the 7th accused (Dr. Mato Dogara) in EFCC custody, as there is fresh petition against him that warrants further interrogation.
Responding to the prosecution’s submission, Habib Ahmed, who led a team of Defense counsel, told the court that they had filed applications for bail on behalf of their clients, and were ready to move the motion.
Their prayer was overruled by Justice Awokulehin who noted that the applications were not ripe for hearing, as the prosecution will also have to respond.
He directed that the six suspects be remanded in prison custody, while the deputy speaker is remanded in EFCC custody.
Dr. Mato Dogara had served as the Chairman of Lere Local Government Area and Commissioner in KadunaState.
The matter has been adjourned to 24th, 28th and 29th January 2013 for trial.
- Amaechi Reelected Chairman Of The NGF
- NGF Chair: Amaechi Loses Out As PDP Governors Choose Jang As Consensus Candidate
- Emergency Rule: National Assembly Conference Grants Jonathan Sweeping Powers
- PDP Governors Tear NGF Apart, Reject Amaechi As New Chairman
- THE TRANSFORMATION OF MAJOR GENERAL MUHAMMADU BUHARI.
- THE MANIFESTATION OF JESUS CHRIST AT THE SYNAGOGUE
- MEND Demands Release Of All Detained Niger Delta Militants, Tells Orubebe To Forget Guber Bid
- Jonathan Condemns Terror Attack In Britain
- Wike, Others Sponsored Tuesday’s Militants’ Anti-Amaechi Protest, Says Group
- London Attacker British, Of Nigerian Origin: Source
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State