House Honours Victorious Super Eagles At Special Session
SUPER EAGLES OF NIGERIA ARRIVAL FROM SOUTH AFRICA AT THE ABUJA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
ABUJA, February 13, (THEWILL) - The victorious Super Eagles were hosted to a special parliamentary session, Wednesday, by the House of Representatives.
The team, which was made up of Director of Sports Development in the Ministry of Sports, Patrick Ekeji; Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) chairman, Aminu Maigari, and chief coach of the Super Eagles, Stephen Keshi, were ushered into the hallowed chambers at about 11.15am by the chief whip, Hon. Ishaku Bawa.
Speaking at the special session, Speaker of the House, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, described the victory of the Super Eagles at the AFCON 2013 as a new beginning in the history of soccer in the country.
This is the first time a victorious sports team is accorded the privilege of being received the hallowed chambers of the National Assembly since 1999.
Welcoming the team, Speaker Tambuwal noted that "This special session holds today to relish, cherish, celebrate and honour you for this uncommon achievement that no doubt marks a new beginning in the annals of Nigerian soccer and the rebirth of our national pride and global image in this round leather game".
He described the victory as an achievement that was uncommon and outstanding on several accounts, adding that nobody gave the team any chance prior to the commencement of the competition.
"This victory is a lesson, in self confidence rather than arrogance, a lesson in self respect, a lesson in sheer doggedness, a lesson in personal sacrifice in the promotion of national interest," he said.
He urged Nigerians not to relent in their efforts to support the team, saying there are more daunting tasks ahead.
"Fellow Nigerians, as we bask in the euphoria of this victory, we must quickly remind ourselves that the task ahead is more daunting.
"We seek not merely to be African Champions because that much we have been twice before, but seek to be the greatest.
"Our goal therefore must be to overtake whatever achievements in this continental soccer competition attained by other nations," he siad.
In a brief remark, chief coach of the Super Eagles, Mr Stephen Keshi, said the team would continue to make everything possible to make the country and Nigerians proud.
He promised that the team would put the interest of the country and Nigerians in their hearts in everything they do
President-General of the Nigerian Football Supporters Club,Dr. Rafiu Ladipo, said all Nigerians have roles to play in projecting the image of the country.
He called for adequate funding of sports in the country as he said that all was not well with the sector in the country.
Also speaking, NFF chairman, Aminu Maigari, thanked the Speaker for hosting them and promised that henceforth they will seek the assistance of the National Assembly on key football issues.
- RE: PETITION ON SALE OF OIL BLOCK OPL 245 BY DPR AND MINISTRY OF PETROLEUM TO SHELL & AGIP
- THE REQUISITE RESPONSE TO A NETWORK'S INCAPACITY
- JOHN CAMPBELL DENIED VISA TO NIGERIA
- TRACES OF NIGERIA’S ENTERTAINMENT JOURNALISM:
- RECENT COURT DECISION ON PEACE CORPS OF NIGERIA IS GOOD FOR OUR YOUNG DEMOCRACY
- MURDER OF AKWA IBOM PARAMOUNT RULER: A LETTER TO PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA
- FASHOLA: PORTING FROM ADMIRABLE ACHIEVEMENTS TO PEEVING POLICIES
- REPLYING SANUSI LAMIDO'S ARTICLE ON SHEIKH JA'AFAR (I)
- ARCHBISHOP BENSON IDAHOSA: THE ERROR & FALSEHOOD OF EX-OLUMBA OLUMBA PASTOR’S CONFESSION
- ORHII’S NAFDAC AND THE BURGEONING REVISIONISTS
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State