N50m Scam: EFCC Docks Kano Lawyer
YAKUBU MOHAMMED NA-ALLAH, 65-YEAR OLD KANO-BASED ACCUSED OF MONEY LAUNDERING
SAN FRANCISCO, January 14, (THEWILL) – The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned a Kano- based legal practitioner, one Yakubu Mohammed Na-Allah before Justice Fatu Riman of the Federal High Court Sitting in Kano on 2 count charge that borders on money laundering.
The 65 year-old lawyer allegedly duped two of his clients to the tune of N50million and used the fund to purchase a mansion in a high brow neighbourhood in Kano.
One of the charge reads: “That you Yakubu Mohammed Na-Allah 'Male' on or about 17th March 2008 in Kano State, within the Jurisdiction of the Federal High Court, did transfer the sum of N45, 000, 000 (Forty Five Million Naira Only) to the bank account of Bennas Nigeria Limited with account Number 0196001000009300 domiciled at Intercontinental Bank Plc ( now Access Bank) with the aim of concealing the illicit origin of the said resources being proceed of an illicit act and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under section 14(1) (a) of the Money Laundering (prohibition) Act 2004”
When the charge was read to the accused, he pleaded not guilty.
The defence counsel S.A Nasir, immediately moved an oral application for bail but prosecuting counsel, Aisha A.T Habib objected. She argued that such application must be presented formally before the court.
The trial Judge agreed with the prosecution and urged the defence counsel to present a formal application.
The court ordered that the accused be remanded in the EFCC custody and adjourned to Tuesday 15th January 2013 for hearing of the bail application.
- Obama Tours Africa, Boycotts Nigeria Again
- Borno: 120 Boko Haram Members Arrested At Killed Commander's Funeral
- BETWEEN BOKO HARAM AND SECURITY OPERATIVES IN NIGERIA
- MINISTER ADESINA AND HIS 700,000 FARMERS
- THE COMPELLING VISION OF GOVERNOR FASHOLA
- Tax Fraud: House Threatens To Arrest Nine Bank Chief Executives
- Emergency Rule: Curfew Relaxed As Peace Gradually Returns In Borno, Yobe
- JONATHAN AND THE EMERGENCY RULE
- Oklahoma Tornado Leaves Massive Path Of Death, Destruction; At Least 51 Dead
- Libel & Defamation: High Court Awards N750m Against The Nation, Activist
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State