Ohanaeze Tasks FG On Completion Of Aba Power Project
PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN (5TH L) VICE-PRESIDENT NAMADI SAMBO (4T L) WITH OF MEMBERS OF NDI IGBO LAGOS DURING THEIR VISIT TO THE PRESIDENTIAL VILLA ABUJA. JANUARY 10, 2013
ABUJA, January 10, (THEWILL) - The Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Thursday in Abuja, called on President Goodluck Jonathan to use his good offices to ensure the completion of the Aba Power project so that the people of the South-East could benefit from it.
President of the association, Prof. Anya O Anya,made the call when he led members of the Igbo socio-cultural group to meet with Jonathan at the Presidential Villa.
Briefing State House correspondents after the meeting, Anya disclosed that the thrust of their meeting with the president was the Aba power project and other developmental matters.
According to Anya, these include roads construction and rehabilitation as well as the upgrading of railway networks linking the South with the Northern part of the country.
It would be recalled that before the exit of the former minister of power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, last year, the former minister had pledged that
the 140 megawatts (MW) Aba independent power project (IPP) being constructed by Geometric Power Systems Limited, would commence operation.
He also stated that the company was planning expansion of the project by additional 48mw by 2013, adding that this will be extended to 688mw by mid- 2014 or beginning of 2015.
The late President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua had performed the foundation laying ceremony of the project in November 2007 at Osisioma in Aba, Abia State.
Geometric Power Limited. had actually clinched the deal to construct a model power plant in Aba in May 2006, but the project is yet to materialise since.
Although Anya did not disclose what his group thought could stall the project, he stated that their fear is that it may not be completed as a result of the alteration of the terms of contract.
Explaining that the president has assured that the terms of contract will not be breached, Anya said: “We wanted to be sure that there is no modification to the issue of the Aba Power Project in terms of the agreements reached .
“So, when you start tampering with a project that is being finished, you are saying that perhaps in the next three years nothing will happen. And we don’t want that to happen. Not in the area of power. And Mr President has assured us.
" And he anticipated us before we came and had a thorough study of everything that we were going to raise. The Attorney General was there. The DG BPP was there and all those who had a role to play were there. We are quite satisfied.”
He commended President Jonathan for his giant strides in developing the nation saying: “If Nigerians got to know that the responsiveness of Mr President is like this, may be people will recognise that perhaps a lot more is being done, because I must confess that most of the things we were told were on-going, we didn’t know were there.
"So, there is the need to ensure a lot more flow of information between us, the governed and those who govern us.”
- I’m Not Hiding, Tambuwal Tells Jonathan
- GE’s $1B Investment In Cross River: Sambo, Imoke, Angbazor Lead Groundbreaking Ceremony
- APC: Lobby For Leadership Positions Triggers Fresh Crisis
- Boko Haram Targets ‘Civilian JTF’ For Elimination
- ABUJA-LOKOJA ROAD AND THE BLOOD SUCKING WITCHES IN ASO ROCK
- Jonathan Chairs PDP Reconciliation Cttee
- Hearing In Suit Seeking To De-Register NGF Gets July 4 Date
- Boko Haram Kills Nine NECO Students, 13 Others In Borno
- PDP: I Won’t Resign, NWC Still Intact, Says Tukur
- Hezbollah Armoury: Drama As SSS Re-Arrests Discharged Lebanese
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State