Tambuwal Assures Women On Protection
PRESIDENT JONATHAN (4TH L) UN UNDER-SECRETARY GENERAL, MADAM MICHELLE BACHELET (M) NIGERIA PERMANENT REP TO UN, PROF JOY OGWU (2ND L) WITH NIGERIAN FEMALE MINISTERS DURING THE VISIT OF MADAM BACHELT TO THE PRESIDENTIAL VILLA ABUJA. JANUARY 10, 2013
ABUJA, January 10, (THEWILL) - The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, Thursday, assured women that the House would give priority attention to gender-related issues in the on- going constitution review.
Tambuwal gave this assurance when the United Nation Under Secretary- General for Entity, Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women, Mrs Michelle Machelet, paid him a courtesy visit.
"In the House of Representatives as an institution, we have always been gender-friendly.," he said.
He explained that the House was doing everything possible to continue to support women in aspiring to various leadership positions.
Tambuwal disclosed that the Gender, Equal Opportunity and Violence against Women Bill was undergoing legislative processes in the House.
He said that the on-going constitution amendment would address issues relating to women, especially as it has to do with elective positions.
The speaker therefore enjoined women groups to sensitise the public on women participation in politics as he lauded the contributions of women to development in the past years.
Earlier. Machelet had urged the House to continue to expand the role of women in leadership positions through legislation that would give women equal participation in politics.
She noted that investment in women was paramount to the sustenance of national development.
Machelet also commended the Federal Government for the progress made so far in women participation in politics as she called on the National Assembly to domesticate all protocols, treatise and conventions related to women issues.
- Army Chief Says Nigerian Soldiers Aiding Boko Haram
- Delta State Governorship Hopeful Senator Okowa In Trouble Over Fraud
- PDP Chiefs Oppose Chibuike Amaechi’s Bid For Second Term
- BELGORE: A FAILURE AS A LEADER
- MEND Demands Release Of All Detained Niger Delta Militants, Tells Orubebe To Forget Guber Bid
- Ban Almajiri System Now, Mark Tells Northern Governors
- Borno Begins Evacuation Of Decomposing Bodies At State Specialist Hospital Morgue
- JONATHAN S’ CROSS
- Wike, Others Sponsored Tuesday’s Militants’ Anti-Amaechi Protest, Says Group
- Jonathan Condemns Terror Attack In Britain
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State