Pope Benedict’s Full Resignation Statement
SAN FRANCISCO, February 11, (THEWILL) –The Pope's resignation statement below;
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.
After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.
I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.
However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.
For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.
With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
- APRIL 26: THE RIGGING IN AKWA IBOM WAS UNPRECEDENTED
- POLITICAL CRIMINALS SHOULD NOT GO UNPUNISHED
- Aging Well And Living Gracefully Through The Golden Years
- Ray Of Hope For Widows As Wives OF Governors Convene Summit
- HOLD ORITSAJEFOR RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FURTHER VIOLENCE
- 2011 ELECTION: HOW ENTHUSIASTIC ELECTORATE WERE DECEIVED
- THE NEED FOR BODY TO POLICE AND MONITOR EFCC, ICPC & CCB
- A’BOM’S UNPRECEDENTED DEVELOPMENT Vs UNPRECEDENTED INSECURITY & THE MEDIA
- MORE KUDOS THAN KNOCKS FOR THE NIGERIA MEDIA
- THE MINIMUM WAGE SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED NOW FOR SERVING NYSC MEMBERS
- NASA Meteorologist Clears The Air On Acid Rain Fears
- Nigerian Dad Convicted Of Murdering Baby Daughter
- Cartels Behind Nigeria's Continued Oil Imports
- Black Nigerian Wife Delivers White Baby
- Ex-Governor’s Mistress Mysteriously Dies In US Mansion
- Ibru Raid: The Many Assets Of Cecilia Ibru Exposed
- Updated: Explosions Rock Abuja, 16 feared killed, 30 Wounded
- Nigerian High Commissioner Battered Me - Wife
- UPDATED: How Police Nabbed Kidnappers Who Raped a 19-Year Old In Benin
- The Looting Of Lagos State